Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Sixty-Third Day.

The Decemberists are amazing. The best album in a long time. Best album because it is amazing from beginning to end, and it is only the most enjoyable as the whole album.

I know I wasn't very impressed with them when their album came out, but I didn't listen to the whole thing through. A hour+ car trip changed that all, and maybe listening to a live recording as well. (go http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?i=51936526&id=267972899 to get the live recording from NPR)

DO NOT think of this album as singles at all. It is a piece, an epic as described on NPR. The story isn't extremely complicated, but I did get lost a little to the amazing music and swept-up-edness of many of the songs. The female voices are beautiful and powerful, epically of one My Brightest Diamond lead, Shara Worden.

No comments: